Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The NYC marathon

Sunday, I had the fantastic and lucky opportunity to watch runners participating in the NYC marathon.  Prior this experience, going to the high-fashion floors at Barney's was #1 best thing about the City so far...but I think this wins!

I went into the City around 8:30 a.m. on Sunday, got a Starbucks pumpkin spice latte (weekend treat ONLY, or I would gain 20 lbs), and walked to Central park.  The runners were still a few hours from the finish line, so I picked out a nice sunny spot to read.  Families and dogs all over, so it was very nice.  After a but, I went to and stood along the fences between marathon mile marker 26 and the "300 yards" sign.  For some reason, standing there in the sun, in the park, with all the spectators and a high-rise backdrop, I remembered I so lucky to be here!  With the new job, apartment search and crazy daily commute to Brooklyn, I haven't really enjoyed and remembered how awesome it is that I am in New York.  Blake and I spent so many nights talking and dreaming about this opportunity, and it is in process.  So nuts. :)

Back to the marathon.  So, after just a bit, the 'professional' women's race came through first.  I could hear the announcer discussing the race for probably the last three miles.  The leader, who was on record pace through most of the race, was fading and two others were on her tail.  It was all so exciting, and when they came down the road, everyone was cheering and ringing the cowbells which were handed out to all spectators.  Then, the men's race came through.  The winner, who had also won the Boston marathon earlier this year, ran through and finished with a course-record 2:05 (and seconds).   Crazy fast!

After the professionals (olympians, world-record holding runners, etc.) ran through, all the normal people started to follow.  It is so inspiring to watch individuals who dedicate themselves, no matter their busy family and work life, to finish the marathon.  So cool.  It is a big dream, but I would love to run a marathon some day.  Super accomplishment!

devin
Central Park - near the marathon course

1 comment:

  1. Hey Devin....Neat to read about your adventures. I've added you as a link to my blog.

    Tracy Wilkins

    ReplyDelete